Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Secret Ingredient

How many of you have seen Kung-fu Panda? Remember Po's father's secret ingredient soup? For those who haven't let me bring you up to speed. Po is a clumsy panda working in his father's noodle shop. One of the items there, which is the hot favorite, is said to have a secret ingredient which has been handed over from one generation of Po's family to another. His father tells him that once he takes over the business, he will be told all about the secret ingredient. The story then moves on and becomes a classic bollywood-esque coming of age tale. We again get back to the topic of the secret ingredient towards the climax when his father whispers to him that there is no secret ingredient in the soup, none at all. It is this supposed story of a secret ingredient that created the myth of it being something more delicious than the other just-delicious items of the shop. It is the reputation of the secret ingredient.

Delhi is an old city. It is a complete foodie's city, with delicious and fabled items that have been made there for generations by either the same people or by their son's, nephews etc. Every nook and cranny of Delhi has some restaurant or shop or food cart that has been making something for years and has gained legendary status. They've built a solid reputation amongst the citizens of this city who, according to me, are amongst the most discerning foodies in India.

Sadly, it is this reputation that has been the downfall of those once fabled places. Forgive me for trashing some of your favorite places but this is something which has to be done. These fabled places have lost what they were once famous for and are now riding the gravy train. Though mind you, not all of the old and reputed places are bad, some are still good. This blog is against those who are just relying on their reputation now and taking other things for granted.

Let me start out with Moti Mahal, the legendary chain which started the butter chicken revolution. Sadly, now, it can only talk the talk but cannot walk the walk. Just about average food, with appalling service and exorbitant prices. Oh, and did I mention that in their GK-1 joint, you get a free side of cockroaches? Their butter chicken is so-so, but I can tell you of many other places which serve tremendously better butter chicken. Al-bake in New Friends Colony according to me has the best butter chicken in Delhi. Gola Sizzlers in Defence Colony has awesome butter chicken and so does Mughals in New Friends Colony for take-away. In the same vein, the food at stalwarts Embassy and Gaylord is overpriced and mediocre at best. Aap ki Khatir which, once, was such a crowd puller that they used to run out of food by 9.30 pm, now is over-priced and a joke.

Khan Chacha in Khan Market has ruled the roll segment for decades. They have now shifted to a swankier residence in Khan Market. I remember going there for the first time in 2004. The rolls there were below average. I came back puzzled and doubting my taste buds for not liking something which the whole of Delhi raves about. At a recent outing in their swanky new outlet, 3 rolls (2 mutton and 1 paneer) cost an exorbitant 400 bucks. These rolls were ordinary, not of legendary status. If you want to eat legendary rolls try Salims which has now shifted to Defence Colony. Try Qureshis opposite Don Bosco School. Aunty Rolls in Alaknanda Market, just behind the telephone box makes excellent rolls.

Parathas near the Moolchand flyover are abysmal. Slightly overpriced for the whole experience, I would much rather have home cooked parathas. Try the parathas at the dumpster near Nizamuddin Railway Station. They are good and really really cheap. Chaat at South Extension market and at Prince Pan is a rip off and again mediocre at best. Nathu's, while hiking it's prices, has downgraded the quality and quantity of the food it serves. One place that gave me a lot of joy when I was a kid, Nirula's now just disappoints me. Once a pioneer of the ripped-off 'Big Boy Burger' and pizzas, it is a mere shadow of it's once behemoth self. Saravana Bhavan is one such gut-wrenching disappointment.

It is important for these places to realize that reputation, while important, is not the be-all and end-all of the restaurant business. They need to make good food to keep the reputation that their founders worked very hard for. Its easier to lose a reputation than to earn it and once its lost, it can be very-very hard to regain.

Though, all is not lost, some places like KareemNatrajChangezi Chicken Corner, Wenger's and Maxim's still live up to their reputation of serving truly incredible food for generations. It is only a matter of what one's priorities are and these places have stuck to providing good food, which is the engine room of any good restaurant.

PS: I have not been paid for praising restaurants and institutions here. This is just a reflection  of my thoughts and views. I might be wrong, I might be right. I would love to hear your opinions nevertheless.

5 comments:

  1. Udit, in the same vein, will you forgive me for suggesting that Delhiites' reputation as India's most discerning foodies also rests on that same 'secret ingredient' status? Sorry, guys, I've seen too many lovely places in Delhi close due to lack of patronage (Moshe's and Mosaic are just two personal favourites that come to mind; also the really great Wildfire). Yet others started out with promise and then went the populist way (Veda in its original Suvir Saran iteration, before a certain 'influential food journalist' went viral with his dislike of the experiments until it settled firmly into butter chicken territory; the otherwise still nice Rajdhani which had to take its legendary meethi dal off its CP menu; Chilli Seasson; Ploof; Olive; Diva...)

    [disclaimer: I'm Calcuttan by origin and a sometime-Delhiite by preference; but no, I can't defend the Calcuttans' claim to foodie genes either. I think Mumbai is way ahead, and am wondering about Bangalore too, which I haven't visited in over a decade]

    That said, certainly agree with your basic premise. In terms of actuals, though, I'll disagree with your endorsement of Wenger's -- I feel it does okay given its relative lack of competition in its niche (old-fashioned, independent colonial-style cake shop and bakery,) because it could have rested on its laurels and gotten MUCH worse, but I don't think their quality is all that great for their price either. Again, I can think of several home chefs who can produce almost every item on their list better, at a better price (and no, sorry, CP location is no excuse in my book to let standards slip -- cost of ingredients I can understand, but selling stale bread, screwing up seasoning or not managing to make a pastry shell correctly is something I don't get at these prices).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment rodosee. I sort of agree with what you've said about delhiites. But, I think that those places were a little ahead of it's time. Maybe if they opened now, they would be way more successful. About your comment about Veda, I agree that certain powerful food critics decide how well a place does. I wanted to write about it but then it would've probably been about 2 articles long. I will take up that issue in a future article.

    About Wenger's I haven't ever experienced bad food there and I am very fussy about my cakes and pastries. I love the whole environment of that place, albeit it's overcrowded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate at Rajdhani recently and their dal is back. And it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Udit! That's heartening news about the the dal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate Moti Mahal too.. bad food, bad service.. looks like a railway station dhaba. This was a good read

    ReplyDelete